I've currently got backports from Vivid to Trusty of:

 openjdk-8  8u45-b14-1
 openjfx 8u40-b25-1

 in a PPA for testing.

https://launchpad.net/~tj/+archive/ubuntu/java-for-14.04/

I'm going to be doing thorough testing of them via several demanding
Java projects over the coming week or so.

In order to successfully build openjfx several other packages, required
only for building, had to be backported too (libasm4-java, spock,
werken.xpath [bug #1455275 in library symlink).

All of the backports needed tweaks to either their build-depends or
their debian/rules to force explicit use of the Java-8 JRE/JDK.

I'd like some feedback on whether those build-depends backports would be
accepted into Trusty in order to enable the backport of OpenJFX, which
has become a core part of Java-8 providing long-demanded media handling
support.

Having Java-8 in the repository without OpenJFX for the LTS would, I
foresee, invite demands and bug reports for missing major functionality.

Package           Section        Changes
libasm4-java     java            Support for ASM5
spock            universe/misc   Required by gradle; needed to build against
Java-8
werken.xpath     universe/misc   Required by gradle; bug-fix of bad symlink
/usr/share/java/werken.xpath-java

The problem is that these packages need to build against Java-8 in order
to be useful but that might cause regressions in the building of other
packages that build-depend on them but are targeted at Trusty's Java-6
or Java-7. I intend to work through their reverse-depends lists to
determine if there are any problems but that will take some time.

Backporters, which is subscribed to trusty-backports.

Title:
  Please backport openjdk-8 8u40~b04-2 (universe) from utopic