On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 02:33:58PM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> The best way forward would be if someone had the spoons for that.
> happy to help review, but I'm not likely to drive it, sorry. In the
> absence of any of this happening, I would support notifying folks that
> the current process is deprecated.

Right - this is the problem. We all have ideas about how to improve
things. But until/unless someone steps up and drives, I think we're
actively harming our community by the broken process still existing.
Given that nobody has managed reform in years, I think it's time we gave
it up.

Separately, I'm unhappy about continuing any process which gives some
set of privileged people access to upload to backports but is
effectively closed to everyone else. This isn't very Ubuntu. Either the
privileged people need to sort out an effective review process, or the
pocket should generally be closed to new uploads regardless of your
status.