On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 12:44:43PM -0400, Dan Streetman wrote:
> I see this charter as the one and only official document (except where
> the charter specifically delegates to other document(s)) for guiding
> what the team does and how the team does it. It supersedes any
> previous discussion. Is that what you are asking?

I'm asking to what extent you consider the previous discussion to have
been incorporated into your current document, if at all.

IMHO it's best if each team - including the backporters team - decides
for themselves how they want to operate, and are free to change things
as and when they want. To that extent, if the backporters team wants
have a detailed document like the one you have written, then that's
absolutely fine.

But why are you looking for the TB to "ratify" it and lock in the
requirement that the TB must approve any changes? For example, you've
said "This charter, and any changes to it, must be approved by the TB
before taking effect" but also you've got minutiae in there such as
which IRC channel is used and on what network. Won't causing the TB to
"lock this in" be excessively beaurocratic? And what if you need a minor
change? Are you expecting to go to the TB every time? Won't that be
impractical?

In case it's not clear, I think what you're proposing is rather
different from my suggestion. I was focusing on the team
responsibilities only - very deliberately leaving *how* the team might
choose to fulfil those responsibilities out of it.

Robie