On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Jamil Ahsan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I can't use any media player which has come to me with Ubuntu CD. It says I
> don't have any codec for playing media file, the codec I have in the CD,
> that needs internet connection which I don't have right now. I want to use
> Ubuntu as a multimedia operating system, will it be possible? How?
>
> I want to start using open source software but the problem  we(the people
> don't have active internet connection) face, turns us to use pirated
> software (e.g. Windows) again.
> Professionals say that using Ubuntu is simpler than any other system (I
> also guess so) but how can I reveal all the feature of Ubuntu without
> learning programming.
> Please send reply! I'm waiting.

You don't need programming to run Ubuntu or most Linux distributions.
However you do need effective internet connection to have a pleasurable
experience. (Or at least the repository dvds.)

*By default Ubuntu Do not include Proprietor and Restricted Codecs Drivers
due to legal & licensing concerns.* We need to install them from Internet
(or the dvds) to run proprietary extensions, or else we can move to real
open source and use OGG Vorbis for audio and OGG Theara for Video format.
Both this Format is Open source 100% Legal to use. There are few free
softwares for windows to convert your multimedia files to OGG or Open
format.

if you want my advice I will recommend you to get internet for few hours
(now-a-days not so hard thing... ask a friend to help you with his/her
internet enabled mobile set) then install necessary codecs/plugins/extras.

To Install all restricted codecs/plugins/extras go to system>>
administrative>>synaptic search ubuntu-restricted-extras and install. This
will install all the restricted/non-free/proprietary codecs/plugins/extras
from Internet or Repository DVDs.

--
Thanking you
Shahriar