Well at times swaps come into play. I have a habit of using more than on
browsers at a time. And Firefox ate 2GB of my 2.5GB memory at one time. :)
With highly resource hungry applications you might require to have more
memory even if you would have a lot of Ram.
But before increasing you should inspect the System Activity monitor to see
if you really need a lot of swap space.