________________________________
 From: Nasimul Haque <nasim.ha...@gmail.com>
To: Ubuntu Bangladesh <ubuntu-bd@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Ubuntu-BD] Unity sucks

2012/5/22 maya2...@gmail.com <maya2...@gmail.com>:
> ইউনিটি সম্পর্কে zia mohi এর কথা আমারও মনের কথা। সমস্ত ডেস্কটপ জুড়ে
> নানারকম আইকনের মাঝ থেকে উদ্দিষ্ট আইকনটিকে খুঁজে বের করা ঝামেলার
> ব্যাপার। ধরি writer এ কিছু লিখছি এই সময় একটা শব্দের অর্থ জানার প্রয়োজন
> পড়ল। তখন ড্যাস আমার ডকুমেন্টটিকে একেবারে ঢেকে ফেলবে। আর আমাকে স্ক্রল
> করে করে ডিকশনারির লিংকটি খুঁজতে হবে।

You are writing a document, therefore your hand is on the keyboard. So
do not move your hand to reach the mouse instead hit the Super (win)
key, start typing dict... there you have your dictionary, press enter.
If you use dictionary more frequently you do not have type more than
'd<enter>' to open the damn dictionary.

I reckon that is much faster than to reach your mouse far far away
from your keyboard.

> HUD দিয়ে সার্চ করার আইডিয়াটা আরও
> হাস্যকর!! আমারই মেশিনে আছে, কিন্তু সেটাকে সার্চ করে খুঁজতে হবে???? তার
> চেয়ে মেনু থাকলেই কি ভাল হত না?

Your menu is still there. HUD does not replace your menu. Just move
your mouse as you did before.

HUD is the greatest idea ever (well, OS X has it for some time now
:p). Specially when you hate mouse. HUD is the best replacement for
Alt+F + whatever shortcut key we were using before to access the
menubar from keyboard.

> বামপাশে যে লাঞ্চারটা আছে, সেটাতে বেশি
> লিংক থাকলে একই ব্যাপার। নির্দিষ্ট লিংকটি খুঁজতে হবে। কোথায় গেল কোথায়
> গেল করে এটা সেটা দেখতে হবে। শুধু তাই না এটা বামপাশের একটা জায়গা দখল
> করে ফেলে। তার চাইতে ড্রয়ার থাকাটাই কি বেটার নয়?

Well, any kind of dock is a dumb thing. They are not useful in any
sense. Mac OS X, Windsows 7, Cairo dock, AWN, docky or whatever dock
is available for linux are not useful. However, people do like them
and use them a lot. It's just an eye-candy to reach consumer market.

> আরও বলি, সেই ১০.০৪ এ
> উইন্ডোবাটনগুলোকে বামপাশে নিয়ে আসা হয়েছে কিন্তু দুই বছরেও ডানপাশে কিছুই
> যোগ হল না। ভেবেছিলাম এই LTS এ কিছু একটা থাকবে, তাও নেই? তবে গ্লোবাল
> মেনু আইডিয়াটা খারাপ না।

The right side is unified with the notification area to the top right
corner of the desktop. It is useful when you maximize the window. The
menubar is now a global thing which is always on the top. So if the
buttons were in right, maximising the window would override the
system, volume, user, date icons on the top right corner of the
desktop.

Yes, it is quite hard to change the habit we get used to with
interface. And of course, unity is not the best yet. It will gradually
mature, I believe. It does break some of my workflow. But I guess it
will be one of the best. I say one of the best, because there are lots
of great WM and DE available for the open source world.

--
M. Nasimul Haque
Appliansys, Coventry, UK