2007/2/4, Kristoff Bonne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Amadee,
>

> OK. Dit is al een aantal keer gediscussieerd geweest hier, maar OK.
>

> Amedee Van Gasse schreef:
> > When I self one topic start on this list, then write I outerearth in the
> > Engrish. :-D
> >
> > But when replying to a post, I think it's only polite to answer in the
> > same language as the original post. (While I write this, Villa Politica
> > is on the TV. When ministers are interpellated by a MP, they are
> > supposed to answer in the language of that MP. Yeah, go ahead. Insult
> > me. I'm a political animal.)
> >
> Wel,
>
> Beeld je eens in dat men in het Belgisch federaal parlement men engels
> zou beginnen gebruiken als "unitaire" taal. Dat zou pas eens echt idioot
> overkomen.
> Maar toch doen we het hier!!! ("as we are technies").
>

> I always wondered where this assumption comes from that the people on
> the other side of the language-"barrier" (note the word "barrier" :-) )
> understand english better then french or dutch.
>
> As Jan put "nobody is going to mind if you do not write perfect
> english". Well, I wouldn't mind if you wouldn't write perfect dutch or
> french neither. My french isn't perfect neither but I assume that
> french-speaking people will not mind it neither.
>
> The thing is that you are creating a self-fulfilling prophessy:
> - We say "people in Wallonia or Brussels do not understand dutch, so we
> should all write in english".
> - as a concequence, french-speaking people say "why should be learn
> dutch, we can just as easy use english anyway"
> and those who did have dutch at school never get a change to use it
> train it as they do not get into contact with it.
> - as a concequence, the level of knowledge of dutch in Wallonia goes down,
> - and, as a concequence, we say "hey, if you want to be understood by
> everybody in Belgium, you have to use english".
>
> (BTW. The same thing applies for the knowledge of french of the
> dutch-speaking people too).
>

> I even wonder why the choice of language should be "regulated". Let
> everybody choice for him or herself what language is best for the situation:
> Use english if you want to, use your own language if you want and if
> -like me- you think it is the most polite to address people in their own
> language and you are not afraid to write with an error from time to
> time, use the languages of the other language.
>

> Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
>
> --

++
I also think we should accept the challenge and use the native
language of the original poster and provide translations of parts that
aren't understood.
It might be a bit slower at first, but at least more people would be
able to put their French/Dutch to practice... and be able to use it in
real life conversations.

Adriaan