Op donderdag 09-07-2009 om 14:53 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Rob Van
Dyck:
> On a second note: is it legal to advertise by printing posters mocking
> the competition(Microsoft windows lapop with chains on)?

As long as it's humor/parody and not defamation, I think there is no
problem (but IANAL etc.).

> I can imagine a funny poster of Proximus showing a man trying to use
> his Base phone, but who is unable to get a connection? [ok, Base got
> better :-]
> Or a Mercedes poster showing a Daihatsu with engine trouble?

Except that, considering the reputation of the Japanese vs. the German
car industry, a recent Daihatsu maybe has less troubles than a recent
Mercedes, in which case that would be defamation...   ;-)

> If I'm correct it only recently got legal to compare prices in a
> commercial.
> I think you get my point :).

It's been allowed for at least 10 years, I think?

> Third: (and I don't mean this in a bad way, the posters are funny)
> when I talk to people about ubuntu I try to point out the important
> advantages (free, open, legal, central application inventory, central
> upgrades, security, ...), I don't try to mock Windows. So should we go
> that way with the posters?

That's right, positive is always better than negative.

There are also 2 versions of that poster, I think: one with & one
without Windows on the screen.  Maybe the version without a Windows logo
would be better then (also because we liberate Apple customers too)?

--
Jan Claeys