jean7491 schreef:
> As far as I know, we have no idea

about how many requests are sent to

>Â  the support points and how many answered. Likely only a minority

of

> people who did not received any answer are sending claims to other

> contacts in Ubuntu-be.

The last 2 years I received 10 or so questions via ubuntu sites. Mostly
are hardware related. People read/hear that Linux in general doesn't
need that kind of heavy or new hardware as XP, Vista or 7. But 5 times
people where thinking that Ubuntu can reanimate old 286/386 or 486
computers with the hardware that was common 12/15 years ago. Sometimes I
can do some things on a 486 but the performance, even with xbuntu, is
poor and people are sad about that...

> Here 2 recent examples of claims I

was informed about:

> Op 23 oktober 2009 15:25 heeft John ... het volgende geschreven:

>>> Ik heb al twee steunpunten gemaild voor ondersteuning voor

een

> demonstratie

>>> in Depenbeek (Limburg). Ik krijg geen antwoord, misschien

is uw

> mailsysteem

>>> niet in orde...

>> Antwoord: We zijn ons bewust van de gebrekkige

kwaliteitscontrole

> binnen het

>> huidige steunpuntensysteem. We zoeken naar een oplossing, maar

die

>> is er nog niet.

Otherwise I received 2 questions from small compagnies to reorganise
there win98/2000/xp environment to a linux platform but where angry that
it gonna cost them money. Not for the software but for the working time
I had to spend: "why pay linux is free"... About demos I can be short. I
give demos in the house here. I have not the time to go to everyones
home, something they asked in the very begin period Ubuntu was released.

> Op 04 oktober 2009 15:25 heeft

Paul ... het volgende geschreven:

>>> Ik heb een mailformulier ingevuld voor Vrije Vogel te

Marke –

> Kortrijk daar

>>> die persoon dicht bij mij woont… Heb echter nog geen

reactie

>>> mogen ontvangen…

>> Antwoord: Het steunpuntensysteem heeft in zijn huidige vormen

> beperkingen qua

>> kwaliteitscontrole. We zijn ons daarvan bewust, en er wordt

aan

>> gewerkt, maar we kunnen u op dit moment niet verder helpen.

> In the same IRC meeting report : "Pierre, who was managing the map,

> wrote :"The current site is a dead end." He does not have enough

time

> at hand for another project based on drupal. His proposal is to

> remove the current map website. and eventually to use the actual

> database as it is. The removal of the current map without

replacement

> could give a wrong idea of the willingness of Ubuntu-be to support

> newcomers. The availability of local help is is one of our best

> arguments to convince beginners. We should maintain a kind of

support

> points network, where beginners can find help when needed. It

should

> not be a one man task, but a team work of several people. Any

> comment? (in the mailing list)"

I have no solution for the map. I'm on it and from time to time I get a
question for help. In my case I got 25% of the questions via ubuntu
sites. And 75% of the support I give is free support that is managed in
minutes. Mostly it is about hardware that is not supported and the use
of Wine to try that a special kind of software can used on ubuntu.

> Everyone is concerned by solving

this problem. Feel free to comment

> this topic and to send your suggestion.

My 2 cent...

--
Patrick Coeman

ICT consulting
Debian GNU Linux, Ubuntu Linux, MS-win XP, 7, SBS server.

BTW / Ondernemingsnummer: BE-0868.969.748
Richardstraat 36 te B-2060 Antwerpen T:038777998, F:032264402 GSM:0476959505
http://www.171.be