Dear Christophe,

I have also noticed that VirtualBox has problems with Ubuntu 10.10. Or
Ubuntu 10.10 has problems with VirtualBox ;-).

I would suggest you try installing it using wubi. It will look as if you
have installed Ubuntu in dual boot but in fact you can remove Ubuntu from
windows like you would uninstal every other program.

Surfing the net I also found one solution that might work. VirtualBox has
some guest tools that you can install. Maybe you can boot VirtualBox in live
CD mode and install these guest tools in there. Then You can try and install
Ubuntu afterwards.

With kind regards

Bram Gadeyne

2011/1/24 Christophe Strobbe <christophe.stro...@esat.kuleuven.be>

> Hi,
>
> I tried installing Ubuntu 10.10 in VirtualBox 4.0 on Windows XP SP3, but
> the installation stalls each time at the keyboard layout screen. I use
> English versions or UI for all my software, but the machine I want to
> install this on is a Dell Precision laptop with a Belgian keyboard. The
> "Figure out keboard layout" function suggests "France" in the left-hand side
> of the screen, but without updating the list of keyboards in the right-hand
> side (where I get "Turkmenistan" and "Turkmenistan Alt-Q"). The Back and
> Forward buttons turn grey and the spinner just keeps spinning as if
> something ended up in an endless loop. The only option I can see is to
> suspend the process and try again, but I have done this several times by
> now...
>
> (I used the following options in VirtualBox:
> Base Memory: 768 MB
> Fixed-size storage: 8 GB
> I then pointed VirtualBox to the Ubuntu 10.10 ISO image on my hard disk (I
> though that should work).)
>
> Is this a known problem? Is there a solution? Searching the Web did not
> give me any clues.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Christophe Strobbe
>

> --