TIOBE Programming Community Index for June 2008 June Headline: ActionScript
enters top 20

The TIOBE Programming Community index gives an indication of the popularity
of programming languages. The index is updated once a month. The ratings are
based on the number of skilled engineers world-wide, courses and third party
vendors. The popular search engines Google, MSN, Yahoo!, and YouTube are
used to calculate the ratings. Observe that the TIOBE index is not about the
*best* programming language or the language in which *most lines of
code*have been written.

The index can be used to check whether your programming skills are still up
to date or to make a strategic decision about what programming language
should be adopted when starting to build a new software system. The
definition of the TIOBE index can be found
here<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/tpci_definition.htm>.

     Position
Jun 2008Position
Jun 2007Delta in PositionProgramming LanguageRatings
Jun 2008Delta
Jun 2007Status 1 1 Java<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Java.html>
20.890% +0.86%   A  2 2 C<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/C.html>
15.513% -0.45%   A  3 3
C++<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/C__.html>
10.806% -0.31%   A  4 5
PHP<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/PHP.html>
10.206% +1.33%   A  5 4  (Visual)
Basic<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/%28Visual%29_Basic.html>
9.787% +0.46%   A  6 6
Perl<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Perl.html>
5.548% -0.63%   A  7 8
Python<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Python.html>
4.899% +1.74%   A  8 7  C#<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/C_.html>
4.058% +0.57%   A  9 9
JavaScript<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/JavaScript.html>
2.927% +0.31%   A  10 10
Ruby<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Ruby.html>
2.640% +0.51%   A  11 13
Delphi<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Delphi.html>
2.022% +0.45%   A  12 14  D<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/D.html>
1.445% +0.19%   A  13 12
SAS<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/SAS.html>
0.923% -0.84%   A  14 11
PL/SQL<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/PL_SQL.html>
0.759% -1.26%   A-  15 23
Pascal<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Pascal.html>
0.596% +0.11%   B  16 15
Lisp/Scheme<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Lisp_Scheme.html>
0.436% -0.23%   B  17 17
Ada<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Ada.html>
0.421% -0.21%   B  18 19
COBOL<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/COBOL.html>
0.379% -0.21%   B  19 21
Lua<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/Lua.html>
0.366% -0.21%   B  20 24
ActionScript<http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/ActionScript.html>
0.341% -0.05%   B
 Long term trends

The long term trends for the top 10 programming languages can be found in
the line diagram below.

 ------------------------------
Other programming languages

The complete top 50 of programming languages is listed below. This overview
is published unofficially, because it could be the case that we missed a
language. If you have the impression there is a programming language
lacking, please notify us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   PositionProgramming LanguageRatings 21 Logo 0.336%  22 Fortran 0.329%  23
MATLAB 0.263%  24 FoxPro/xBase 0.262%  25 Transact-SQL 0.249%  26 RPG
(OS/400) 0.244%  27 ABAP 0.237%  28 Prolog 0.220%  29 Awk 0.209%  30 LabVIEW
0.179%  31 Haskell 0.143%  32 Smalltalk 0.126%  33 PowerShell 0.125%  34 Bourne
shell 0.122%  35 Erlang 0.121%  36 Groovy 0.120%  37 APL 0.116%  38 Tcl/Tk
0.115%  39 ML 0.112%  40 Forth 0.107%  41 CL (OS/400) 0.102%  42 Objective-C
0.096%  43 S-lang 0.096%  44 Scala 0.095%  45 R 0.094%  46 Caml 0.092%  47
REXX 0.091%  48 Lingo 0.090%  49 Euphoria 0.084%  50 Natural 0.082%
------------------------------
The Next 50 Programming Languages

The following list of languages denotes #51 to #100. Since the differences
are relatively small, the programming languages are only listed (in
alphabetical order).

   - ABC, Algol, Alpha, Applescript, AspectJ, Beta, Boo, C shell, cg, Ch,
   Clean, cT, Curl, DC, Dylan, Eiffel, Factor, Felix, Focus, Icon, IDL, Inform,
   Io, Limbo, MAD, Magic, Maple, Mathematica, MOO, MUMPS, Oberon, Occam, OPL,
   Oz, Pike, PILOT, PL/I, Postscript, PowerBuilder, Progress, Q, REALbasic,
   Rebol, SIGNAL, SPSS, TOM, VBScript, Verilog, VHDL, XSLT

------------------------------
 June Newsflash - *Brought to you by Paul Jansen*

   - Thanks to Paul Connelly there is now a better categorization of all C
   shell and Bourne shell dialects, Stephan Le Roux pointed out that CFScript
   should be part of the CFML grouping and Glenn Kelley suggested to add VB6 to
   the Visual Basic entry. Thanks to you all!
   - In the tables below some long term trends are listed about categories
   of languages. For the first time in 3 years statically typed languages are
   moving upwards again.

      CategoryRatings June 2008Delta June 2007  Object-Oriented
Languages 56.0% +3.9%  Procedural Languages 41.5% -2.4%  Functional
Languages 1.8% -0.3%  Logical Languages 0.8% -1.2%

      CategoryRatings June 2008Delta June 2007  Statically Typed
Languages 58.4% +0.4%  Dynamically Typed Languages 41.6% -0.4%

------------------------------
Frequently Asked Questions

   - *Q: What definition of programming languages has been used?*

   A: A language is considered a programming language if it is Turing
   complete. As a consequence, HTML and XML are not considered programming
   languages. This also holds for data query language SQL. SQL is not a
   programming language because it is, for instance, impossible to write an
   infinite loop in it. On the other hand, SQL extensions PL/SQL and
   Transact-SQL are programming languages. ASP and ASP.NET are also not
   programming languages because they make use of other languages such as
   JavaScript and VBScript or .NET compatible languages. The same is true for
   frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, ColdFusion, Cocoa, and technologies such
   as AJAX. Finally, we have also excluded assembly languages, although Turing
   complete, because they have a very different nature.
   - *Q: How are dialects of languages grouped?*

   A: Some languages are grouped together because they are very similar to
   each other. An example is the language entry Basic which covers Visual
   Basic, QBasic, Microsoft Basic, etc. VB.NET has been added as well to the
   Visual Basic entry because it is often referred to as Visual Basic. The
   ratings for a collection of languages is calculated by taking the maximum of
   all individual entries (not its sum!).
   - *Q: Am I allowed to show the TIOBE index in my
   weblog/presentation/publication?*