dfme schrieb:
> I've noticed that Dell is suddenly selling ubuntu netbooks in Switzerland:
> http://www1.euro.dell.com/ch/de/unternehmen/4x_latit_2100/fs.aspx?refid=4x_latit_2100&s=bsd&cs=chbsdt1
>
> <http://www1.euro.dell.com/ch/de/unternehmen/4x_latit_2100/fs.aspx?refid=4x_latit_2100&s=bsd&cs=chbsdt1>

Interesting. Although if you click on the help button next to Ubuntu you get a
blurb recommending Windows 7. If you compare the sales prices between the
WindowsXP and the Ubuntu9.04 versions, WindowsXP "costs" CHF 90.- (589-499) If
you compare the pre-sale prices, the difference is CHF 118.- (746-628).

There are also a few other Dell laptops with preinstalled Ubuntu, but I'd
hesitate to buy from a company which "recommends Windows 7" on every webpage.
Even if there are only interested in profits, it leaves some doubt with regards
to the quality of the ubuntu configuration.

By the way, a friend bought a HPmini last year with Novell SLED on it at
Digitec. It worked perfectly out of the box but had a rather limited repository
(lots of missing programs and an old kernel) with no easy upgrade possible.
Therefore I installed Ubuntu Netbook Release for him.

Cheers, Theo Schmidt