<quote who="Michael Frank" on Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 06:44:25PM EST>

> On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 08:51 +0100, Alain Perry wrote:
> > > Should I add a gconf key to adjust this for the power users that want
> > > to (this will not be easy, but hey, I can try, can't I)?
> >
> > Okay, so after a bit of thinking, I guess this is not possible, since
> > gtk doesn't use gconf, and we certainly don't want it to depend on it.
> > So whatever the choice is, I got a patch ready that will make the
> > filechooser to open by default in ~/Documents if it exists, and in ~/
> > otherwise.
>
> how about also adding an environment variable, say
> GTK_DEFAULT_FILECHOOSER_DIR, for power-users/disto packagers?

Hardcoding the default and using an environment variable as an easy-to-use
override would be a great idea. In my case, I prefer lowercase directories
like ~/documents and was surprised when I found the lowercase no longer
worked in the filechooser and gnome-panel without patching. But also, like
others that replied, I dont always want to use ~/{D,d}ocuments as the
default savedir.

Seth