Hi,

I tried writing some simple equations in OpenOffice Math today to be used as examples in example-content [1]. First of all, it isn't very good :( It's functionality is quite primitive, it's very sluggish and its markup is dreadful. I haven't written equations in MS-Office for years, but I seem to remember that even 10+ years ago MS-Word had a better equation editor than this. In fact, didn't OpenOffice 1 have something better? Can't remember. Anyway, enough ranting about the program itself; not much we can do about it now. If you want to do any serious work with equations you'll need to use LaTeX or LyX.

My real point is that we should remove it as an independent option from the Office menu for the following reasons:

* The most practical way to include equations in your text documents is to work in a text document in Writer and then choose Insert -> Object -> Formula. You then get a new toolbar and a working area that lets you enter an equation into your document. AFAIR this is also how it works in MS-Office.

* You would never want to create a separate formula document. You would enter one into an existing document as described above. I know you _can_ save it as a separate file, but the formula editor doesn't seem to cope with plain text very well, so you wouldn't want to for any practical purpose.

* In the File -> New menu formula isn't listed either, so it seems OOo itself doesn't consider it a proper document type that you would want to create.

* Finding Writer in the Applications -> Office menu is too difficult as it is. Most people who are exploring the system for the first time are going to look for Writer first (where is my Word? ... ) Perhaps the items should be in the same order as in the File -> New menu and have the same icons.

- Henrik

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperExampleContent