Wouter Stomp wrote:
How about instead of deploying a link, just copying it to the users
home directory? Have some directories like documents, photos, music in
the users home folder each with two or three example files.
That is how Windows does it, but the problem is duplication of data. With sound, video and presentations with several images this can get quite large. We might hit 10 meg for a single collection. You then duplicate that for each user, which starts taking space.

For a single user you are already at 20 meg because you need one local copy and one pristine copy in case a second user account is set up later. In order not to make the Live CD too complicated you might have to replicate this structure in the Live CD file system (since it gets copied by Espresso). So you now have 20meg on the Live CD instead of 10. I guess the Live CD file system can be made to compress that nicely though.

I would still advocate a split solution :) Have the small text documents be duplicated and a link for the media stuff.

- Henrik