My thought : from a picture viewer, I expect :

- open a picture by double-clicking on it and then browse others in
the same folder with next/prev
- zoom and slideshow
- rotate the picture  and save it (which is not perfect in gthumb, I admit)
- croping/resizing
- brightness/contrast

Last time I tried f-spot, it was really a pain because there was no
way to simply do that ! I had first to import a picture folder. then
all pictures were displayed (I only wanted a given folder) then most
of my pictures were set with in year 1970 (because they are not
specially from a digital camera) and so on. I also never fully
understanded a lot of things so I cannot imagine how it would be for
regular joe user who only put pictures from his camera to his desktop
and want to display them.

Gthumb is not the best but is still the less worst for me. F-spot is
not, IMHO, in the gnome spirit. I don't want to "import" things.

I'dont say that f-spot is bad. I can say that it doesn't meet my needs
at all and I believe (but I may be wrong) that it's not intended as
part of a default installation for a regular user.

"flickr integration and tags" sounds like geeky features to me.
"timelining" might be nice but I really believe that most people have
one folder by event and that there's too much mistagged pictures in
the current ecosystem.