Hey all,

During the dapper cycle, I raised the idea of showing the
gnome-power-manager icon all the time and there was a great deal of
discussion either way[1]. However, since then, I have run into a
number of issues where g-p-m does not figure out the correct state for
my battery and thus thinks it is full and on AC and thus hides the
icon when in fact it is neither. Given I have seen a fair number of
bug reports with similar issues[2], I think we should rethink our
policy of hiding the icon at any time , if for no other reason than
g-p-m is currently less than perfect. (Of course, I still believe in
all the reasons I raised at that time as well)

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2006-February/000385.html
continues on:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2006-March/000424.html

[2]
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bugs?field.searchtext=icon&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=Unconfirmed&field.status%3Alist=Confirmed&field.status%3Alist=In+Progress&field.status%3Alist=Needs+Info&field.status%3Alist=Fix+Committed&field.assignee=&field.owner=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=
(this shows all gpm bugs with the word icon in them. However, this
probably doesn't catch all the bugs that exist in this specific issue)

Cheers,

Corey