On Jan 26, 2008 7:58 AM, Nanley Chery <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The desktop menus are becoming increasingly overcrowded (see: Internet,
> Applications, Preferences). Too much entropy on the desktop could only lead
> to one thing: an increase in the complexity of Ubuntu, which in turn, would
> lead to a decrease in its popularity - it just won't be as easy anymore. To
> be an easy OS, Ubuntu does not have to be watered down - that isn't what I
> am saying - instead, Ubuntu must remain intuitive and keep the noise level
> on the desktop down.
>
> I think we should discuss menu items to be removed (or apps to merged?) and
> make an honest effort to have sane menus. To start, I think the Avahi VNC
> Server Browser item should be removed from Internet because its
> functionality already exists in the "Find" button in Vinagre, the VNC
> client.

The last major desktop menu sort was just before Dapper, which was not
only awhile ago, it was also that last LTS, which creates prescendent
for doing these sorts of things for the next LTS. I agree that there
are things on the menu that need to be hidden. What I suggest is that
you create a wiki page listing each and every menu item you want
removed and why it should be removed. Then we can discuss each point
on the wiki page, come to a consensus and then have that implemented
in Hardy. For the Dapper example, see MenusRevisited.

Corey