On Friday 10 October 2008 21:50:17 Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le jeudi 09 octobre 2008, à 23:33 +0200, Kenneth Wimer a écrit :
> > I think that if we replaced the aging themes we could, in their place,
> > include a couple of interesting new ones. I think users would get much
> > more out of being able to select a modern sexy theme. In this way we
> > offer our default theme, accessability themes and a few beautiful, sexy
> > themes.
>
> Sounds like something that should be done upstream ;-)

I am not sure if this is the kind of change which can start upstream. My
experience has shown that any discussion on or around legacy themeing within
a community of developers/long-time-enthusiasts ends with lots of discussion
without any real action. Sometimes it takes a distribution to stand up and
take the plunge, then everything else falls somewhat in line, eventually. I
doubt that our solution will be the long-term solution but it might just help
to start the revaluation of opinions.

Any given theme is eventually no longer desired/needed in a default desktop
selection. It is always hard to remove something which came before but if we
don't do that we lose our appeal to new users. Does mac or win ship something
like glider or crux?

As for the Mist theme, I know quite a few people who use it and really like
it. I imagine keeping one theme like this would not be an issue. Mist is
really fast and really simple so it should/could/would cover the needs of all
those who want something a bit more simple.

--
Kenneth