On 02/23/2009 05:29 AM, Matthew East wrote:
> I wonder if it would be appropriate for inclusion of
> gnome-control-center to be considered again for Jaunty.
>
> I still think that the points made in my email below remain valid in
> Jaunty - for me the absence of a structured preferences menu is the
> main problem that stands out at me from Ubuntu's otherwise awesome
> desktop. There wasn't really a very comprehensive discussion of the
> issues when I raised this back in August 2008.
>
> Oliver raised an objection that it takes 30 seconds for control-center
> to open, but I've tried it now on a few different computers and it
> always opens promptly: do we have any idea whether the problem Oliver
> experienced is common or a rare bug on certain hardware? In any event,
> perhaps it is solved now that 6 months further development has
> occurred.
>
> Do other members of the desktop team have views on this issue?

I find access to the various settings applications to be rather tedious
and indirect through the gnome-control-center, so I prefer the way that
Ubuntu does it (simply with the menus).

However, that's mho, I'm interested in other thoughts on the topic.

Also, for completeness, note that the control center is installed, by
there is no GUI way to access it.

Cheers, Rick