Hi Mirco,

Am Montag, den 15.06.2009, 20:10 +0200 schrieb Mirco Müller:
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-karmic-ramdisk
>
>       I really like that idea a lot! Reminds me quite a bit of the good old
> Amiga-days. The fact that one could get a "small SSD for cheap" is very
> appealing!

Thanks for the comment :)

>       If you can hack that together I'd be interested in trying this out.

I didn't have much time lately but I did a quick proof-of-concect:
https://code.launchpad.net/~aheck/+junk/ramdiskcreator

I'm using ramfs here but only because it appears on the desktop when
mounted to /media/.+ while tmpfs does not. Still have to figure out why
this is.

tmpfs should be the better choice because it allows to set a fix limit
on the ramdisk while ramfs allocates space until the machine runs out of
memory.

I'm still not completely sure if this will be much more useful than just
sticking with the buffer cache and if it is worthwile for that reason,
altough some reports indicate that it has huge speed advantages.

Best regards,

Andreas