I agree with considering chromium (or even a canonical remix of it) as a
default browser. The only thing firefox has over it are extensions, but in a
few months, the most useful extensions will be probably ported.
The main reason why currently it's not being considered  is because it can't
be compiled against default webkit, only with it's own google-tweaked
webkit. But even with that, chromium is a binary and has source code. It's
open!, there aren't really any problems.
2009/12/13 Dylan McCall <dylanmcc...@gmail.com>

>  Firefox's biggest issue in Ubuntu, for me, has always been its
> integration. Sure, its UI looks like it uses GTK+ now, (and big kudos for
> that) but it doesn't _feel_ like GTK+. Meanwhile file and uri handling is
> done in Firefox's own way; the browser has no interest in the standards that
> Freedesktop and others have put so much effort into producing.
>
> Chromium, on the other hand, uses GTK. The main browser window doesn't look
> like GTK usually does, but it feels like a GTK app and all the other windows
> use it. It knows about standards, including how to add to the main menu
> properly. Files and uris are always opened with the correct application
> according to desktop-wide settings. It is aware of GNOME's tools for proxy
> stuff. Even better, it isn't burdened by crazy branding legalese. (In
> fairness, Chrome would be, but there is less need and less expectation to
> ship that vs. Chromium).
>
> I would also like to see Chromium by default (or at least seriously
> considered) in the near future. It would make Ubuntu a smoother, more
> predictable and more consistent experience, greatly improving the out of the
> box experience for our users.
>
>  Bye,
>
> Dylan McCall
>
> --