Hello,

I just wanted to tell you that most of these bugs were fixed this week.
Nice work of you! (Details below).

Only one thing got worse this week. After running an update on Friday
the default boot icon and desktop theme changed into something
ridiculous. The boot logo went from a balanced and aesthetic one to
something using an ugly font and a logo so tiny small that you need an
magnifier to see it's the Ubuntu logo. The new desktop theme is dark and
unprofessional and the window buttons switched places (really annoying
since I just keep on pressing the wrong icon to minimize the window).
The new background image is dark, smudged and depressing.

I guess Canonical is playing with us. They now switched to the ugliest
theme they could find so that just before the final release they can
switch back to earlier, light white/grey theme and amaze us with how
beautiful and clear it is, right? :)

> > launching the Desktop Cd.. This dialog should shown at all when
> > running a live CD and certainly not should the live CD "detect itself".
>
> Never noticed this one there, could you open a bug on update-notifier if
> you can reproduce the issue and there is no bug open about it yet?

I'll try this again on with a new daily image and it I can still
reproduce, I'll open a bug report.

> > - The installer has a button "Update the installer". When I press it
> > while there is no network connection, it shows some dialog running
> > some update, but after that nothing happends and the button just goes
> > grey. I'd expect it to complain about not beeing able to connect to
> > the repo servers.
>
> The issue is probably an ubiquity one, could you open a bug if there is
> none opened about that yet?

I'll try again and possibly open a bug report.

> > - After I press "Next" on the last screen of the installer (where it
> > shows a listing about what it's about to do) the installer windows
> > just disappears and nothing happends. It does not leave any processes
> > running and it didn't install anything. Tested this again today and
> > the problem is still there.
>
> Did you try with today's image or again with the alpha3 one? There was a
> crasher which looks similar to what you describe which has been fixed in
> lucid yesterday (so today's daily should work correctly).

I'll try again and possibly open a bug report.

> > with a cursor blinking. Going to a command line console with
> > Alt+Ctrl+F1 and back to X with F7 unravels the desktop, where
> > everything seems fine (I've enabled autologin).
>
> That's a known plymouth issue

Some update at the beginning fixed this issue partially - now X boots
into black screen only once in then times.

> > - While using Lucid, many apps just plain crash and bring up the
> > automatic crash reportin tool. Are all the apps I've tried buggy or is
> > there some background mechanism that crashes a lot of stuff?
>
> Not easy to say without seeing the stacktrace, open the bugs if you want
> to be sure about those

Haven't seen these any more. Something got fixed.

> > - On one computer the sound volume icon is grey (muted) even though
> > the sound works fine and I can increase/decrease the volume with
> > hardware keys and there is correct on screen feedback. On another
> > computer I tried the sound volume icon works correctly.
>
> Do the mixer dialog works correctly? You can open a bug on
> indicator-sound about the applet issue

Yes, the dialog works. Actually, now the icon seems to have been fixed.
Still, running the scroll wheel over the icon does not increase/decrease
the volume as the applet in 9.10 did. I'll test on another machine and
possible file a bug.