On Thu, 2011-03-17 at 14:26 +0100, Milan Bouchet-Valat wrote:
> On jeu., 2011-03-17 at 14:14 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Chase Douglas [2011-03-17  8:57 -0400]:
> > > We've received a request to enable two finger scrolling by default in
> > > Ubuntu. After querying some of our uTouch and X developers, everyone
> > > seems to be in agreement that this is a good idea.
> >
> > This is in fact a request that I also already heard more than once
> > from friends of mine. It has been possible to enable this using some
> > xinput commands, but enabling it by default might be nice indeed.
> >
> > It would be even better to add an option to gnome-mouse-properties
> > for this, of course :)
> This is already present in Maverick if I'm not mistaken. (At least it's
> present, maybe it doesn't work...)
>
> The problem I can see with this is that two-finger scrolling can only be
> the default when the touchpad supports it. We need to fallback to
> scrolling from the side of the touchpad, else it would be a regression
> for many users.
>

> Regards

Yes, the option already exists in gnome-mouse-properties.

I've just confirmed on my laptop that edge-scrolling *is* disabled when
turning on two-finger scrolling. My touchpad doesn't support two-finger
scrolling, so that would be a pretty bad out-of-the-box experience for
me (and other people in this situation) if we went ahead and did this.

Regards
Chris