Hi,

A change I'd like to make for 12.10 is to use a compositor to control
video from boot to shutdown.

This gives us the following benefits:
- We can have smooth transitions from the splash screen to the greeter
to the session and back again
- We don't use VT switching anymore which has been shown to be problematic
- We use one consistent monitor layout for all stages of the boot
- We can use the greeter as the lock screen (couldn't get it to work
this cycle for the above reasons)
- We can ensure that you can never accidentally switch to a locked session
- We can show the greeter while the session loads

The technology used will probably be Wayland, and in some ways this
change is to implement the Wayland Tech Preview that was proposed for
Precise [1].

Note that not all video drivers will support this, and we will continue
to support the current system for those that do not support it
(primarily the nvidia driver).

--Robert

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-q-wayland-tech-preview