My intuition is that Ubuntu should definitely maintain its own GNOME stack.
Since Unity is still largely based on GNOME technology but we may not
agree every decision of GNOME upstream.
And Debian's view point of GNOME upstream may different from us and
they don't maintain Unity at all.

But for things like "texlive" or "rar" should be mutually synchronized I guess.
I don't think Debian or Ubuntu make a difference for such packages.
I've shown my bad experience on "texlive" package.
I'm working on "rar" package since it is in broken state for almost two years.

For who sync who, I believe it is better to start with Debian if possible.
It seems to me that Ubuntu has well established way of Debian sync
while it is not the case in other direction.