On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 07:11:30PM +0200, ab...@email.it wrote:
> I don't understand. Why Firefox should use Ubuntu One and instead Chromium
> can use its own sync service?
>

>  You made me remember another point in favor of Firefox: its sync service is
> much more privacy-friendly. Firefox Sync encrypts data not only on Mozilla's
> servers, but also on the client side. So you and only you can access your
> private data.
>

>  Anyway, there used to be Firefox bookmarks synchronization in Ubuntu One
> (see for example
> http://www.webupd8.org/2010/04/ubuntuone-adds-firefox-bookmarks.html). I
> guess it wouldn't be difficult to reintegrate it.
>

>  And, ironically, the Ubuntu community has more control on Firefox Sync,
> where Mozilla's servers are opensource and you can run your own server
> (http://docs.services.mozilla.com/howtos/run-sync.html), than on Ubuntu One,
> as Canonical's servers are closed source
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-servers/+bug/375272).

Putting aside points regarding "evil company controlling your data" (implied or
otherwise) and just focusing on user experience alone, consider these two
scenarios:

Scenario A (unified sync service)
 1. User sets up Ubuntu system
 2. User sets up $sync_service, where $sync_service could be U1, Dropbox,
    owncloud, sparkleshare, or whatever else you want.
 3. All apps automatically get synced across.

Scenario B (every app has its own sync service):
 1. User sets up Ubuntu system
 2. User sets up $sync_service for syncing files
 3. User chooses a $browser. User has to set up syncing for the said browser.
 4. User also needs to set up syncing for Tomboy, or Gnote, or whatever
    note-taking app they use.
 5. Ditto for email, if they use a desktop email solution.
 6. And what about contacts

Speaking as an Ubuntu user, I think scenario A seems a lot simpler, and we
should probably strive to achieve that. U1's server-side component not being
open enough is something that would really be nice to have fixed, though.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin