On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 16:16 -0400, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> Ubuntu server (13.04) already defaults to 64 bit only (unless you manually
> go to releases.u.c).  As for what other distros are doing; only Fedora
> defaults to 64 bit only.  Most others show both without a preference
> (Debian recommends a multiarch image).

Hey Bryan. Just my two cents, but something that we could consider doing
is having on the download page a star or some other icon saying
"recommended" next to either the 32-bit or 64-bit download. Assuming the
machine they are browsing the site from is the one they want to install
it on, and assuming the OS that is already on it is the more appropriate
of the 32-bit or 64-bit, the recommendation could be determined by
checking the user agent string for things like x86_64, i686, etc..

It's not a perfect solution, but I'd guess that for most of the users
still running Woe32/64 looking for an alternative, it could be a lot
better than leaving it to the laymen to guess which one he needs.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred