I disagree with your reasoning. It's preventing users who have console access
from shutting down the machine that will result in data loss, as they will
simply fallback to using the power button or the magic sysrq key.

If the user does not have console access, then it's reasonable that they would
not be allowed to shut down if other users are logged in.

Marc.