On 15/01/16 08:16, Robert Ancell wrote:
Hi all,

As you may be aware, we're currently looking at switching from Ubuntu Software Center to GNOME Software for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS [1].

If you're interested in playing around / helping out:
- I've set up a ppa:ubuntu-desktop/gnome-software [2] for which currently holds PackageKit 1.0 and GNOME Software with some patches to support the Ubuntu review server. Installing this will boot out software-center / aptdaemon. - We're blocked from pushing this directly to the Xenial archive [3] - but we hope to have some progress on that soon. - The GNOME software work is being done upstream in GNOME git. It should be upstreamable.
- Please file bugs against the gnome-software package [4]
- I'm still working on the Ubuntu One support for posting reviews - ideally this would use libaccounts but that doesn't seem to be working in desktop Ubuntu anymore. Any help here would be appreciated. Plan B is to put the account signup UI in GNOME Software (not too hard, but would be nicer to use the proper services).
- I've tagged some bugs on things that need working on [5].
- The appstream data is being worked on - I'll let Iain Lane update about that.

Have fun!
--Robert

[1] http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/11/the-ubuntu-software-centre-is-being-replace-in-16-04-lts [2] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/+archive/ubuntu/gnome-software <https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-desktop/+archive/ubuntu/gnome-software>
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bug/1470655
[4] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+filebug
[5] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/+bugs?field.tag=gnome-software-ubuntu

Hi, thanks Robert.

This took out system-config-printer here in addition to what you expected (Xubuntu)

regards