For the biggest languages the overall idea as expressed at <https://launchpad.net/bugs/1520278> is to include full language support on the ISO, so those languages are complete in a live session and to allow for an offline installation without being prompted afterwards to install additional language support. However, since that bug was fixed, things have changed a bit, for instance:

* The libreoffice-dictionaries source package provides more packages
* We are moving to GNOME, which means additional translated docs

For these and other reasons, there is currently a discrepancy between which language support packages are included on the ISO for the big languages and what's actually pulled by language-selector.

I prepared a MP in an attempt to get it better in sync:

https://code.launchpad.net/~gunnarhj/ubuntu-seeds/ubuntu.artful_lang-support/+merge/326261

Jeremy Bicha has reviewed it, and after some talk on #ubuntu-desktop we have concluded that some of the proposed changes - which are motivated for consistency reasons - would add to the ISO image size. The biggest differences in size would be caused by these items:

German spell checking
---------------------
Currently in the seed (3.5 MB installed-size):
  hunspell-de-at
  hunspell-de-ch
  hunspell-de-de

Proposed replacements (13.9 MB installed-size):
  hunspell-de-at-frami
  hunspell-de-ch-frami
  hunspell-de-de-frami

Getting started docs
--------------------
Proposed new packages (83.1 MB installed-size):
  gnome-getting-started-docs-de
  gnome-getting-started-docs-es
  gnome-getting-started-docs-fr
  gnome-getting-started-docs-it
  gnome-getting-started-docs-pt
  gnome-getting-started-docs-ru
  gnome-getting-started-docs-zh

There are also a few proposed gnome-user-docs-<lang> packages (12,7 MB installed-size), but they basically replace localized ubuntu-help pages in the language-pack-gnome-XX-base packages, so the net ISO size difference due to desktop guide translations ought to be small.

The question I'd like to ask the team is: Would the proposed additions to the ISO, as described above, be acceptable in order to maintain the idea of full language support for the biggest languages?

Thanks!

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj