I would like to see this happen too. I've got at least one cheap Windows machine here that simply can't boot Ubuntu without the aforementioned awkward hacks. 64-bit CPU but 32-bit UEFI support only...

So far I've only been able to boot Android-x86 on such hardware, since it has had UEFI 32-bit support in 64-bit images for some years.