On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 17:30 -0800, Constantine Evans wrote:
> Perhaps it would be better to allow repositories to add an extra file
> that would contain a title and description, and then use that
> information? Such a method would require that repositories do extra work
> to support it, but I expect that most safe repositories would do so.

This was my thought exactly.  It would be fairly trivial to add a text
file to the Apt repository that had a simple one-line description of the
repository's contents (perhaps in multiple languages).  Hell, it's not
much more work than setting up the repository in the first place - I'd
do it the next time I upload a Wine package.

This also seems like a far more elegant approach than trying to maintain
a config file of known repositories in the system somewhere.  Such a
file would either become quickly out of date or a pain to keep current -
a change would require the repository owner contacting the maintainer of
the config and then having him update it and then having the user
download the update.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie