On do, 2007-02-08 at 16:59 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> The following is a list of python modules, which currently are
> explicitely seeded for main (development seed), plus suggested demotions
> and promotions to universe/main.
>
> Comments, and additional suggestions for demotion/promotions are welcome.
>
>   Matthias
>

> Candidates for demotions:
>
> - python-eunuchs (unmaintained)
> - python-elementtree (part of python2.5)

But python-elementtree-doc has better (more) documentation than is in
python2.5-doc.

> - python-adns (unmaintained in debian, no reverse dependencies)
> - python-dictclient (Python client library for DICT (RFC2229) protocol)
>   no users (rdepends) seen.
> - python-pqueue (unmaintained upstream, ???)
> - python-sqlite (old module version)
> - python-pysqlite2 (part of python2.5)
>

> Candidates for promotions:
>
> - python-numpy (1.0 release, will replace python-numeric and
>   python-numarray in the long term)
>
> - python-avahi (source already in main)
> - python-beagle (source already in main)
> - python-beautifulsoup, error-tolerant HTML parser for Python
> - python-bluez (bindings for packages in main)
> - python-bughelper (maybe should be promoted together with bughelper?)
> - python-diacanvas2 (bindings for packages in main)
> - python-enchant (bindings for packages in main)
> - python-hid  (bindings for packages in main)
> - python-magic  (bindings for packages in main, from the file source)
>
> - python-imaging-doc-html, python-imaging-doc-pdf (doc for packages
>   already in main).
>
> - python-lxml (pythonic binding for the libxml2 and libxslt libraries)
>
> - python-reportlab-accel (acceleration for python-reportlab, which
>   already is in main).
>
> - python-rrd  (bindings for packages in main, rrdtool)
>
> - python-svn (alternative bindings for subversion)
>

> Remove from seeds, referenced elsewhere:
> - python-epydoc
> - python-tz
>
> - these are referenced from schooltool/schoolbell:
>  * python-pullparser
>  * python-mechanize
>  * python-clientform
>
> Don't touch:
>
>  * python-apt               # MRS, we need to be able to interact with APT
>  * python-cddb              # MRS, great for desktop users to be able to
> manage CD's in Python

What about MusicBrainz bindings?  (MB has less albums in their database,
but in general they are slightly more reliable...)

>  * python-clientcookie      # MRS, unless a better cgi-style framework
> is below

Eh, this is for HTTP clients, not for CGI which is a server-side
technology?

>  * python-crypto            # MRS, very useful even though it's very
> specific
>  * python-egenix-mxproxy    # MRS,
>  * python-egenix-mxstack    # MRS,
>  * python-egenix-mxtexttools # MRS,
>  * python-egenix-mxtools    # MRS,
>  * python-examples          # MRS,
>  * python-genetic
>  * python-geoip
>  * python-glade2
>  * python-gnome2            # SebastienBacher
>  * python-gnupginterface
>  * python-gst0.10
>  * python-gtk2              # SebastienBacher
>  * python-htmlgen
>  * python-id3lib

Well, python-mutagen supports reading & writing of metadata from/to
almost all common audio formats and is used by most popular python-based
music players: Quod Libet/Ex Falso (where it originates from),
Listen[*], Exaile, ...

[*] although it seems like the 'listen' package in Ubuntu includes its
own copy of mutagen--why?

>  * python-imaging
>  * python-imaging-sane
>  * python-jabber
>  * python-dbus
>  * python-librdf
>  * python-pycurl
>  * python-ldap
>  * python-mysqldb
>  * python-newt
>  * python-numeric
>  * python-pam
>  * python-pexpect
>  * python-pisock
>  * python-pyao
>  * python-pylibacl
>  * python-pyopenssl
>  * python-pyvorbis
>  * python-pyxattr
>  * python-reportlab
>  * python-simpletal
>  * python-unit
>  * python-xdg                   # SebastienBacher
>  * python-xmpp
>  * python-libxml2
>  * python-libxslt1
>
> Moved from supported:
>
>  * python-pygresql         # JamesTroup, from hoglet
>  * python-psycopg          # used in launchpad

There is also python-psycopg2 now...?

--
Jan Claeys