Hi Joel

Joel Bryan Juliano wrote:
> Since Squashfs 3.1 had been released, it now supports specifying "the
> filename or the directory within the Squashfs filesystem that is to be
> extracted, rather than always extracting the entire filesystem."[1]
> This allows the LiveCD to function in different ways rather than
> LiveCD to load only the necessary files to run the Desktop, but only
> of limited applications. This may help breaking the minimum memory
> requirements of the LiveCD which is really big. Another approach is to
> create a RHGB/Firstboot like application that would only be used for
> installing the LiveCD onto the system, that works like the alternative
> install CD, but on X.

The current Ubuntu live CD squashfs doesn't get loaded into memory at
the moment, it gets mounted and then files are read transparently from
the filesystem.

As for the RHGB/Firstboot idea, I tend to agree with you. We already do
it in tuXlabs, where we have a dialog that pops up before the desktop
loads on the live CD, asking whether the user wants to install, or use
the LiveCD. This makes it possible to install using Ubiquity on a
machine with only 128MB RAM.

-Jonathan