<<
They are actually supposed to go to ~/.xsession-errors. Please file
bugs if that doesn't happen for a particular case. At least it works
fine for me with f-spot under Gnome.

YES, that's the problem. And the real problem is that Linux gurus don't
understand that it's a problem.

I went looking in .xsession-errors for hints about why Totem bombs when
trying to play a quicktime file. I found hundreds of messages. Below is
a sample of each type. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

I have been "learning" Linux for almost two years now, and I have
written about 20K lines of GTK code. This is the first time I ever heard
about .xsession-errors. How much of a chance do you think the average
non-technical person has dealing with Linux? It is hard enough for
people like me with lots of experience.

Ubuntu may soon have enough critical mass to set the agenda and the
standards that will make Linux more viable. I hope it happens, but it
would need someone caring about the little details like hidden error
messages and decent documentation.

my .xsession-errors file:

/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a -w
/var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l
":0" "mico"
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
SESSION_MANAGER=local/mico1:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4491
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

** Message: plugin_get_value 1 (1)

totem-video-thumbnailer couln't thumbnail file:
'file:///home/mico/.Trash/Gammelsdorf190207.mov'
Reason: Took too much time to thumbnail.
DOUBLE-CLICK: 500 --> -1 THRESHOLD: 5 --> -1 DOUBLE-CLICK: 500 --> -1
THRESHOLD: 5 --> -1

** (nautilus:4566): WARNING **: file already in tree (parent_ptr: (nil))!!!

Window manager warning: Received a _NET_WM_MOVERESIZE message for
0x2400003 (fotox.09); these messages lack timestamps and therefore suck.