Wenzhuo Zhang wrote:
>> 3. The desktop has two hard drives. One is connected to the motherboard
>> as primary master, and the other is connected to a Promise Ultra100 TX2
>> IDE controller card as tertiary master. The feisty live-cd recognizes
>> the primary boot drive as /dev/sdb, and the tertiary master as /dev/sda.
>> I am not sure if this could pose a problem when installing the Grub MBR.
>> Let's see the result after the installer finishes its job later.
>
> Sad to say, the Grub MBR indeed got installed onto the tertiary master
> hard drive.

It just happens that on your hardware the kernel detects the promise
controller first so it gets assigned the lower device name, and grub has
no way to figure out ( without you telling it in /boot/grub/devices.map
) that the boot drive is not /dev/sda.

Maybe the installation process should prompt the user to tell it which
disk is actually the boot disk when more than one is detected, rather
than assuming it is /dev/sda?