On 08/05/07, Daniel Robitaille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 5/8/07, Fergal Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I can't see any real benefit to including /usr/local/bin and I can
> > find plenty of people in the forums who can't start *-admin,
> > presumably due to problems similar to mine,
>
> I personally use /usr/local/bin to install my own version of Firefox,
> without the need to uninstall the Ubuntu's version of Firefox.  Since
> /usr/local/bin/ is ahead of /usr/bin in the standard $PATH of users,
> if I have a /usr/local/bin/firefox  it is picked up by default by all
> my users.

You have quoted my last paragraph completely out of context. I put
/usr/local/bin first in my path too, that's a perfectly fine use of
/usr/local/bin and is not the problem.

The problem is that when a system script puts /usr/local/bin first it
can pick up all kinds of versions that don't do what it is expecting.
In this case, /etc/dbus-1/event.d/70system-tools-backends picks will
pick up a custom version of perl, expecting it to have the usual
Ubuntu perl modules available and it fails. Worse, it fails silently,
with the result that nobody (not even root) is authorised to run the
admin tools.

Shouldn't system scripts should only be invoking the system-supplied
versions of binaries?