On Wed Jun 20, 2007 at 12:41:36AM +0200, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> Onno Benschop wrote:
<snip>
> >> If you are trying to reproduce it or asking for more information from
> >> the submitter then this will be clear from the comments and you can set
> >> it to Incomplete.
> >>
> >> If you are not a developer then it is misleading to set it to In
> >> Progress because nobody is actually working on the fix and it may never
> >> be fixed.
> >>

> > Well, no I'm not a developer, err, I am, but not in the Ubuntu context.
> > If I'm working on a bug in say dosfstools, or gphpedit, then there is no
> > need for another developer to spend time duplicating my work. To be
> > accurate, I've not released any actual fixes (yet), so I've not had a
> > problem where I needed to submit a fix.
> >
> > So to say that nobody is working on the fix, sort of makes me a nobody :-)
> >
> Please don't interpret it that way :) As I replied to Scott, if the bug
> is not handled by someone who can upload to Ubuntu then it's fair to say
> that nobody is working on a fix in Ubuntu.

This is just not true. In Universe we have a great number of people working
on bugs that are not able to upload. These people use status,
subscriptions, and assignments to get their work sponsored. Even in Main
there are quite a number of people who aren't in ubuntu-dev that work on
bugs. Your statement is only true in the sense that a developer must touch
it at some point to upload the fix, but the work is often enough not done
by the developer.

Bottom line, people who are assigned to a bug need to be able to modify it.
If you want to control who can be assign bugs then that's a slightly different
matter, but there *has* to be a workflow that allows for non-developers to
work on bugs. Anything less would severely affect Universe and probably
Main as well.

-Jordan