On 29/07/07 10:59, Tim Hull wrote:
> My issue is basically that issues with hardware support pop up that
> are fixed after release (for example, my aforementioned suspend issue).
This issue looks simple enough "on the face of it", but as you will
surely know, added support for a new piece of hardware comes at a cost.
In some cases hardware is depreciated, or supported in another way. A
PATA device might be implemented as IDE or as SCSI as new hardware
support becomes available across newer releases of the kernel.

This is why what you ask for is illogical in my opinion.

An LTS release should be stable. You cannot expect and should not expect
that an LTS release implements new functionality. You cannot expect that
developers roll out support for a new gadget by backporting it into an
older kernel in an attempt to support something new while retaining old
expected behaviour.

>From a support perspective, an LTS user needing support for a new gadget
should in fact compile and install separately. If I am supporting such a
machine, I should be aware of the "extra fix required" to be able to
implement support for this new gadget that was released after LTS launch.

> As I said, most of the "Install Ubuntu on XYZ" articles include
> "compile X" or "install from unsupported repository Y".  It seems like
> there is room for improvement here - most users would encounter a
> scenario like this and run.  Getting updates like Firefox, etc was a
> secondary concern - though I still think there should be a way to do
> so simply within the package system.
I'm not going anywhere near the notion of updating Firefox on an LTS. If
you want that functionality, then there are backports and you should be
on your own.

Let me say again.

The whole point of an LTS release is that it is stable. New hardware
released after the launch of an LTS release should not be supported
except in unusual circumstances. An LTS release should only ever have
security and severe bugs applied.

It is possible that you're agreeing with me, but that we're coming at
this from a different angle.

Kind regards,

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]