On 10/7/07, João Pinto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am sure there is a design reason for this behavior which I am missing, I
> would appreciate if someone could explain it.
>
> Starting point:
> Package A version X, Depends on Package A-DATA version X
> Boths Package A-X and A-DATA-X are installed.
> Action:
> dpkg -i Package A-DATA, version X+1
> Result: The package is properly installed without any warnings, however
> Package A becomes broken, GUI update/install tools will refuse to work until
> an apt-get -f install is issued (which will remove the broken package).
>
> Shouldn't the dpkg install package warn or not install the new package by
> checking that an installed package will become broken ?

dpkg knows only how to deal (install, check if it overwrite a file from
another package, remove, repair, purge) with a single package. dpkg has no
idea about dependency.

apt-get has the dependency notion, and it asks to dpkg to install single
package.

if you want to be warned about dependency problems, use apt-get.

G.