Onno Benschop spake thusly:
> On 15/10/07 07:31, Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
>> till the release of the most bug-ridden Ubuntu release yet (unless the
>> devs go into overdrive in the next few days)!
>>

> I have to say that I was quite offended by your statement. It's not
> constructive in any way and it does not reflect the amount of effort,
> both paid and unpaid, put in by the community.

I'm infamous for opening mouth and inserting foot and I tend to fly off
the handle (irrationally at times - hence my nickname).

I don't deny that a lot of people have put a lot of effort into this
release as they always do.  Perhaps the problem isn;'t so much the bugs
themselves but the responses (or lack thereof) from devs to the bugs.
And I want to see Ubuntu succeed.  I "play" with several distros and any
given time (in virtual machines) but Ubuntu is my base system. Why,
because despite it's shortcomings i still best meets my needs. And I'm
generally impressed with the community (despite my perceived statements
to the contrary).

> If you're frustrated with the development process perhaps you should
> find another way to contribute to its success.

I've been running Gutsy for a little over two months now.  In part
because I wanted to help out. But it's quite disheartening to file bug
reports (some of which are seemly serious) only to find that they don't
merit any kind of response other than "undecided" for days (or perhaps
weeks) on end.

I realize that most bugs are rather trivial in the big scheme of things,
but bugs that affect everyday operation of the system (or of widely
regularly used applications - e.g. those in main) are something else).

And in case anyone was wondering..

No, I'm not just speaking of bug reports I've filed (or added to). I've
browsed through a number of others and found they garnered little or no
response other than "undecided" as well.

I get more constructive response on my bug reports from devs to on this
mailing list than I do in the bug reports themselves.

What's wrong with this picture?

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com