On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 17:27 -0700, Martin Olsson wrote:

> I really really would like to see "BACKSPACE as BACK" working in
> Firefox. I think this is the kind of polish bug that makes a lot of
> people stay away from ubuntu (beyond hardware problems of course).
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/60995
>
> Is there any established process for dealing with this type of
> situation. The bug is very very old so I think some kind of "decision"
> needs to be made on the issue. Maybe some kind of ubuntu board or some
> benevolent dictator person or someone could arrange some voting or whatever?

You would have to successfully argue why one binding is better than
another, countering any argument against that binding.

Assuming that, the best way to start the discussion is to do as you've
done, and begin a thread on ubuntu-devel-discuss.  If this is a major
issue, it should get a lot of replies and discussion.

If no clear consensus occurs to cause a core developer to change the
default, and you still believe that it's the right decision, the next
step would be to bring it before the Technical Board.

They would then make a decision about the default, and that would be
that.  If the TB doesn't rule the way you like, then your final appeal
would be directly to the SABDFL--though in practice, since he is a
member of the TB, he would have already expressed his preference.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]