On 10/23/07, Daniel Holbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I had some discussions with John Dong and Jo?o Pinto and both
> acknowledged the fact that there's a need for installing just a select
> few backport packages and not all of them.
>
> Let's imagine that somebody has an interest in just the latest version
> of blender on his stable system. That user does not want to upgrade to
> all packages available in the backports repository, but just the
> backported version of blender.
>
> How could something like this be realised in a user-friendly way?

I think that most people will be searching via Synaptic.  I think
there should be an option in the default installation of Ubuntu, such
that when you search for 'blender' or any other package that is
available via a backport repository, Synaptic offers the ability to
right-click the package name and say 'Install the bleeding-edge
version' or something similar.  I think only tech-savvy guys will
utilize this feature, and the word 'bleeding-edge' will imply that it
could be dangerous.  You should not have the mention the word
'backports' to the end user as this is a term unknown to those
unfamiliar with software development...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen