On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 17:41 +0100, Thilo Six wrote:
> Milan wrote the following on 10.11.2007 16:56
>
> <<-snip->>
>
> > All in all, I'd rather suggest to activate password-locked GRUB, but I
> > understand this question is hard to decide. Does anybody see other
> > agruments on both sides?
>
> against:
> helping users on mailing lists or irc, with boot problems.

Exactly. In my opinion password protecting GRUB by default will cause
headaches for a number of people, but it won't really make the system
any more secure since physical access is gained by that point (thus
allowing live media, removing the hard drive, etc.).

The only extra security measure I think is worth debating is full disk
encryption. Such a thing would obviously be a nightmare for tech
support, but since there are real security benefits I think it is worth
considering and at least looking into. To me there is very little to be
gained by password protecting GRUB though, so I'm against.

Thanks,
Chris