> I often report it to both Ubuntu and Upstream. Things tend to get fixed
> more quickly that way. Ubuntu bugs can sit for *months* (and even over a
> year) untouched.

I have run into similar issues.
I am being affected by a bug on my server that prevents it from seeing all my
drives.
The change requires recompiling the kernel with 1 line changed.
It's pretty major, but the bug sat for 2-3 weeks.

So rather than me constantly complaining, I set a goal for myself.
Get involved with triaging bugs.
Once I have that down, learn packaging and start packaging apps for Ubuntu.

You should understand that the community you are dealing with is volunteer and
accept that you don't dictate how the community is run or how they provide
services to you.

Right now you're just blowing a lot of hot air around and telling a bunch of
volunteers to get stuff done....and in my opinion it's kinda like herding cats.

If you want it changed pick one of the following:
 * Go buy support from someone (like Canonical) and have them change it
 * Learn to change it yourself
 * Post a bug report if you are having an issue and let the community deal with
it as they are able

-A

> But if a package was buggy (notably those in Universe) in the previous
> release of Ubuntu and wasn't causing problems/conflicts with any other
> package, it's bumped up to the next release "as is" (with all bugs in tact).
>
> So much for "QA".....

Universe is an entirely different animal than the main repos.
I don't remember the exact warning, but my system warned me when I enabled
universe saying that it contained packages that hadn't gone through the
rigorous QA the main packages went through.