On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 01:05:01PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> in edubuntu we face the fact that governments and schools start rolling
> out really huge deployments in the near future (see macedonia with a
> total of 185000 systems for example), if you maintain 5000 seats in one
> school or 10000 in one municipality it comes in pretty handy to have an
> apt-cacher in your network to not saturate your internet connection for
> updates. so i'd like to second the main inclusion.

We should be wary of both a) jumping from broad requirements ("large
deployments would benefit from local redistribution of updates") to actions
("let's put apt-cacher in main") and b) focusing too much on niche use cases
when there are issues facing a large number of users which need to be
addressed.

If this is worth addressing, then it is worth thinking through and
considering other possible solutions.

--
 - mdz