On Dec 13, 2007 7:57 PM, Tony Yarusso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Additionally, Scribus and Inkscape are also pretty cool, but adding a Qt
> dependency to a Gnome install makes no sense.  Now, if Kubuntu wants to look
> at these that might be a decent idea, and could provide a unique attraction
> to the Kubuntu member of the Ubuntu family.
>
> Finally, I would very much like to see two things included by default, and
> hope that space can be found on the CD for them:
> 1.) Seahorse - security is important, and the easier we make it, the more
> people will actually bother to do it
> 2.) Conduit - this seems like the way for things to go overall; the more
> integration and synchronization the desktop can get with _everything_, the
> better.
>
> (I should also note at this point that if we're going to keep shipping
> Rhythmbox by default, someone should really see to it that it gets two-way
> transfer support for iPods included before the next release - a feature
> included in Exaile and Banshee already, and which I've heard rumored is
> available in CVS already.)

Inkscape has no Qt dependency, so there's really nothing blocking it.  I'd
like to see it be included.  It's a much better drawing tool than the Gimp,
which is great for touching up photos, but just plain bad for drawing
shapes.

I'm not sure about Conduit.  It's definitely not something I would use,
though I can see its usefulness for others (same way I feel about F-Spot).
It makes me think of that online GNOME project, which seems to be really
just a lot of hooks into social networking sites.  While the 15-30 crowd
might be very into social networking, I'm thinking only a subset of them
would use an auto-sync program for it.  Anyone outside that range would
probably think it's pretty useless.  It looks like it can act as a sort of
GUI for network-based rsync backups, but I really can't see that being
something the average desktop user even thinks of.  If the average desktop
user thinks of backing up, it's to CDs or DVDs or maybe the portable hard
drive on the desk, but probably not over a network to an offsite location.

Rhythmbox also needs to be able to setup the first time (not just update a
pre-existing one) the database on an iPod.  Already setup iPods, I assume,
work fine, but brand new ones don't.  The iPod sees no database of files and
acts like it's still empty, even though with Nautilus you can see the files
fine.  The database has to be generated from some other app (I used Amarok
for my brother's iPod) first.  That's as of Feisty's version of Rhythmbox.
Disregard this if Gutsy's fixed that.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169