Am 13.01.2008 um 02:45 schrieb Bryan Quigley:

> I don't believe either is implemented yet:
> Torrents check files in pieces so if some of the pieces have not
> changed they won't need to be redownloaded.

While this sounds good in theory, it rarely works in practice: Remove
a byte from the first chunk and all other chunks will point to a
different range of the remaining file, resulting in a different hash
and re-download of all chunks.

Am 12.01.2008 um 21:41 schrieb Evan:

> Cons:
>
>    - The method I described can't handle updates to non-binary files
>    (help files, icons, etc.) This would have to be integrated somehow.

I can't follow you here as _any_ file can be handled as binary. Like
Subversion does, for example.

IMHO, a successful patch mechanism would store the complete package
on both ends. Just for downloading, a server could offer a patch
against an already downloaded, similar package to make the download
faster/using less bandwidth. A good patching algorithm isn't trivial
and could include extracting and re-assembling the package on the
client side.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/