On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 9:48 PM, thibaut bethune
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Therefore i wander if network manager should not be an applet instead
>  of cluttering the notification area : actually network manager icon
>  doesn't notify anything (it acts in a manner quite similar to Tomboy
>  which is an applet. Besides it is called nm-applet !).

I think this is Bug #23376
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/23376
But its been marked as "Invalid".  Some reasoning from the comments:

---
Phil Housley  wrote on 2006-03-01:  (permalink)

As far as I can remember the reasons for nm-applet not being an applet:
* It has to appear as needed, which an applet can't.
* The notification area is the only place really shared between DEs.
Back at the time, there were GNOME 3.0 type discussions about this,
but no real answers, so it had to be a notification area dealie.
---

CK